Thursday 26 March 2009

Fiddly fingers and Who do you think you are?

First of all, thanks so much to everyone on Ravelry and Facebook for all your get well wishes. I'm sure all the good vibes must be reaching me as I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon - at least my fatigue not quite so extreme and my achy joints not quite so achy - now if I could just shift this headache and get my vision to stop being so blurry, I could get on and do stuff.

As a result of this, this... lurgy thing, I've been doing much more sitting on the sofa than usual in between naps and I'm not a very good patient and can't do nothing, so here's what I've been doing.

Handspun Baby Hat and Boover Bootees for brand new Findlay baby.
Yarn by FeltstudioUK in Melusina colourway.
Patterns: Greenleaf Baby Hat by Evelyn Uyemura minus the leaf.
and Saartje's Bootees by Saartje de Bruijn


The mystery fairisle which I'm concocting in Lotus Yarns cashmere soft coming along nicely and is nearly finished.

Some BFL which arrived from Picperfic's Fluff n Stuff store on Misi - it arrived beautifully packaged but I'd already started spinning with it before I took the photo.


Rainbow merino from Wingham Wool

Some undyed BFL

Plied together - this is soft!

Shared Learning stops for noone - ill or not - and didn't want him to get detention. So last weekend, me and Skein Prince worked on putting together our family tree - in French!

Our family is from Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland and India. My maiden name is DeMellow which is a Portuguese name and luckily my dad had given me a heap of information that a relative in Australia had worked on tracing the DeMellows in India back to 1810.

What I hadn't realised was that in the mid-19thC, they had lived on Perim Island, a tiny dry volcanic island off the coast of Yemen which held a coaling station for shipping. Other DeMellows were connected with Lord Reay's cotton mill in Mumbai (I like the textile connection). There seem to be several army links too.

My grandfather was an engineer on the railways and was instrumental in saving lives on the last train to cross the newly formed border between India and Pakistan during Partioning in 1947 and his brother, Melville DeMellow, was known as "The Voice of India" and was very well-known in broadcasting.

Edward D'Mellow and Lucy Ann Eliza Marshalsay - my great great grandparents - she got married aged 15

My Grampa - Harry

My Scottish Gran - Helen "Ella"

No comments: