Monday 1 September 2008

It was my 40th and I'll cry if I want to...

...but it was a good day last Friday. I woke up to loads of cards and pressies and after being persuaded to come downstairs, had to run round the house breaking all the "You are 40" tapes criss-crossed over the doors! Yes, even the porch and my car were covered in them (as if I didn't already KNOW I was 40, I had to drive over to the Post Office advertising the fact!)

These were from Skein King

These were from my sister

My more-than-generous mother-in-law gave me 40 heart-themed gifts all separately wrapped, ranging from heart-shaped soaps to a knitted hearts hot-water bottle cover and this tin heart decoration:

My sister-in-law gave me this modern take on a charm bracelet by Thomas Sabo.
I have a mobile phone and my birth stone, peridot, on mine and I think the lemon's going to be next whenever I can get to House of Fraser.

And the fabulous alabamawhirly made my these mitts from SQ Lavish in a colourway called Sweetbird. I'm so chuffed with them, they're making me look forward to autumn!


Skein Prince made me this card from a kit he bought in Buxton when we were on holiday

And there were lots of other gifts - too many to mention individually - but thank you all, especially to Sandra at work. I very embarrassingly thanked her for the lavender bag, but she had so beautifully wrapped up a gold-leaf necklace in satin and lace that I hadn't realised there was more inside! Truly mortified!

I thought we were going to be going out locally for a meal on the night of my birthday, but no, turns out Skein King had other plans. We headed towards Oxford, then Swindon and the wonderful man had booked a couple of nights in a hotel in the Cotswolds.

It was fabulous. On Friday afternoon after he'd told me to pack, I was speculating about it possibly being a Travelodge by the M40, but it was far from that. The hotel was lovely, the food excellent, the staff were friendly and we fitted in a trip to the historic wool town of Northleach and also to Cheltenham. I want to live that city! One reason being, it has a Cath Kidston shop. I was in heaven and came away with this:

Because, as I've matured, I've come to understand and appreciate that old Confucian saying "One can never have too many needles or too much yarn." It appears right beside the one that says "There's no need to cry when you reach the age of 40 if you have love and friendship but not necessarily your original figure or hair colour." I guess I'm lucky to reach this ripe old age - many people don't have that privilege.

But, I also like the philosophy of Miss Piggy:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye"

I'll leave you with that wise thought as I prepare to squeeze into my magic knickers for the Garden Party at the weekend - anyone heard a weather forecast?!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alabama whirly said...

what's that strange comment above - is that a weird friend or a spam?
Anyway, back to your blog which brought a tear to my eye then the comment from miss piggy made me snort, well like a pig ; )

cathleen said...

Happy Belated 40th Birthday! Wanted you to know I referenced you in my blog yesterday because I bought some yarn from your Etsy shop last January and I wanted people to know about you. Hope that was okay.

gilraen said...

What a wonderful way to spend a very special Birthday!! May you have 40 more to start with and them all dye filled ;) :)

Very Bridget Jones!!!!

Jill L said...

What a wonderful celebration you had. Congrats on the 4-0 and welcome to the club!