Thursday 28 May 2009

Anarchy in the UK - God Save the Queen!

Everything's got out of hand here at Skein Queen hq lately. There's been a revolution, partly linked with Britain's Got Talent fever, and we're all knitting Union Jack handwarmers as designed by the talented alabamawhirly.



Alabamawhirly writes "These gloves were originally hand knitted by me from my own pattern whilst listening all the while to my old Fidelity record player. These Union Jack gloves are a homage to The Sex Pistols, Johnny Rotten and God Save the Queen (the record)."

You can buy the pattern for these Anarchy handwarmers here. Believe me when I tell you how much thought and how many hours have gone into creating this detailed pattern and chart.

They can be knitted in commercial red, white and blue yarn, but if you decide you'd prefer the hand-dyed option, you can now buy three mini skeins in my shop to create them yourself. They come in shades of Rebel Red, Naked Anarchy and Bolshy Blue. Believe me when I tell you how many hours they took to wind into mini skeins!

Alternatively, you can buy the actual, handknitted mitts here. They'd make a great and unique gift.


And here's my effort at testing the pattern for Whirly (unblocked - how rebellious!)

Now, shall we return to some semblance of civility wearing our rose-tinted spectacles? Thanks so, so much to everyone who joined the Summer Squee! Clubs. For those of you who joined The Queen's Reading Room, I'm announcing the novel of the month a few weeks in advance in case you decide you'd like to read along. The first novel will be The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite by Beatrice Colin. This novel is widely available through the reputable Internet book sites and stores.

This was the Summer Pudding colourway from the April installment of the Plushness Pudding Club - semi-solid and multi-coloured versions.

And this was the Esme Squalor colourway from the April installment of the Unfortunate Club.

1 comment:

alabama whirly said...

thanks SQ, let's chink glasses to handmade anarchy ; )
I love the yarn names